The Learwood Spring Choral Concert is approaching us rather quickly! The Concert is Wednesday, May 25 at 7:30 p.m. Students will report at 6:45 p.m. The students have been working hard since January preparing for this concert! I am proud to announce this year’s concert theme entitled “Amour Vincet Omnia, Love Conquers All.” This theme is centered around a piece that was commissioned for the Learwood 8th grade mixed choir entitled “Amour Vincet Omnia.” This piece was written by a dear friend and colleague Dr. Philip Silvey who currently teaches at the Eastman School of Music. Dr. Silvey will be our composer in residence at Learwood from Monday, May 23-Wednesday May 25.
I commissioned Dr. Silvey to write “Amour Vincet Omnia” based off of poetry of Rick Widener. Rick’s wife Donna Widener works on staff as an evening custodian. Donna cleans our music suite and I have become great friends with her. Two years ago, her husband Rick passed away. As I attended the viewing, I discovered that Rick was a poet and he had a book of his poems published “Amour Vincet Omnia Love Conquers All.” The poems were beautiful. A lot of the poems centered around love, but also talked about his childhood, nature, and the afterlife. I mailed the book to Dr. Silvey this past summer and he was able to create a beautiful piece that would sound great for the Learwood 8th Grade Mixed Choir. On Wednesday, May 25, Both Dr. Silvey and Mrs. Widener will be in attendance at the concert. In addition to “Amour Vincet Omnia” Each choir will perform a piece by Dr. Silvey.
Along with the pieces composed by Dr. Silvey, there will be many pieces performed that will focus on love, nature, and self motivation. Music from the 1600’s all the way to Adele’s Hello. Yes. I had to throw in a break-up song if a concert is themed around love.
Please refer to the Learwood Vocal Music Department Handbook to see what is considered an excused/unexcused absence, dress code, and other important information. Below I have listed all of the MANDATORY dates and times students need to be for their rehearsals.
- 8th Grade Concert Choir OMEA District 4 Large Group Adjudicated Event Saturday May 14, 2016 Lorain High School 2270 E 42nd St Lorain OH 44055 Students report to Learwood at 7:30 a.m.
- 7th Grade Men’s Choir Rehearsal Tuesday May 17, 2016 at 3:15 pm – 4:15 pm Learwood Middle School Auditorium
- 7th Grade Women’s Choir Rehearsal Wednesday May 18, 2016 at 3:15 pm – 4:15 pm Learwood Middle School Auditorium
- 8th Grade Concert Choir and Mixed Choir Rehearsal Monday May 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm Avon Lake High School PAC (Mixed Choir 7:00-7:45 Concert Choir will stay until 8:00 p.m.)
- Learwood Spring Choral Concert Wednesday May 25, 2016 at 7:30 pm Students report at 6:45 p.m. Avon Lake High School PAC
I hope you enjoy our uplifting spring choral concert! Thank you for your constant support for the Learwood Choirs.